- B. Comm - Sauder School of Business, UBC (1993)
- Chartered Professional Accountant (1996)
- Lean Certified “Management Efficiency” Black Belt
- Continual Learner of Best Practices from leading companies around the world
I spent time as both an investment banker and a merchant banker with CIBC World Markets in Toronto, London (UK) and Vancouver. Prior to CIBC World Markets, I was a financial analyst and auditor at KPMG in Vancouver. I also worked in the food services industry for many years to pay for my university education.
I co-founded the Nurse Next Door Group of Companies in 2001. Nurse Next Door evolved into a homecare franchise business in 2001 and opened its first franchise here in Vancouver. Since then it has expanded to over 180 locations across North America. Our company now employs over 5000 individuals. In its first 17 years Nurse Next Door has received numerous awards and press recognition.
My wife Teena and I, co-founded Rosemary Rocksalt Bagels with Parise Siegel and Tim Hopkins. We started with one store in North Vancouver and have added four more locations. Our sixth location will be open soon. We currently employ over 100 individuals.
I have been recognized with numerous business achievements including EY Entrepreneur of the Year Award (2006 and 2016) and was named to Business in Vancouver’s 2005 Top 40 Under 40 list. I also give speeches across North America on management best practices, corporate culture and lean manufacturing in service-based industries.
Selected List of Nurse Next Door Accomplishments:
- Ranked in the top 50 best franchise systems in North America under 50 units by Franchise Business Review in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012
- Ranked the #9 Best Small and Medium Employer in Canada in 2012
- Ranked a top 10 Place to Work in BC by BCBusiness Magazine (companies over 100 employees) in 2007 (#6), 2008 (#8), 2009 (#1), 2011 (#2) and 2011 (#3)
- Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Culture in 2011
- Named to the 75 Best Employers in Canada by Great Place to Work Institute and the Globe and Mail
- Named to the Progressive Employers of Canada list for being a mom-friendly workplace
- One of BC’s Top 20 Most Innovative Companies (2010)
- YWCA Women of Distinction Award 2010
- Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award 2016 and 2006
- Business in Vancouver Top Forty Under 40 Award 2006
Selected List of Nurse Next Door Press Recognition:
Marketing, Advertising, Media and PR in Canada
The Globe and Mail
The Vancouver Sun
The Wall Street Journal